Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Fear of the number 3

This is my new discipline method with Kitten and it is working like a charm.

If I want him to do anything I tell him he has until the count of 3 in order to do it ... "or else". By the count of 1 he will usually rush to do whatever it was that was asked while saying "no no don't say 3".

I'm not quite sure why it works so well. We have gotten to 3 a few times and the only thing I did was either do it myself while I glared (e.g. turning off the TV) or picking him up and taking him to his room (e.g. when I asked him to get dressed for school). There was never any hitting or anything yet he seems genuily terrified by the number 3.

I have heard of triskaidekaphobia but never a phobia of the number 3.

Am I damaging my child irreparably by encouraging this fear?
Will the fear of the number 3 ever subside and let him live a happy, healthy and productive life?

Interestingly 3 is my personal favorite number....

Well that was a lot about nothing but at least it is letting me start blogging again.

2 comments:

Hf said...

I think all 3yr olds fear 3 :)

Lynn said...

Nothing is the best thing to blog about. It clears the mind.

And as for the number 3. I was always afraid. If I dared to not do what I was supposed to do before 3 then I would get 2 1/2, 2 3/4, etc. It always worked.