Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cake Traditions


For all the people who asked me about making my own birthday cake: we have a tradition at home which started the summer that Felix turned 2 and we were having our kitchen renovated. Espen was great a built us a fully functioning kitchen in the dining room with fridge, range, dishwasher and sink, but there just wasn't room enough for serious pastry making so for Kitten's birthday I took him to pick out a cake at our grocery store (he picked one that had Bob the builder).


For Espen's birthday 3 weeks later we obviously still did not have a kitchen (that only came the following Christmas) so again I took Kitten to pick a cake for Espen and that time we got one with a car. Well that is also about the time that Kitten's long term memory kicked in and now whenever there is a birthday (ANY birthday) Kitten insisted on picking out a cake.


So for all my beautiful and yummy cakes, we never have any homemade ones for our birthdays :-(

Kitten finds my cakes way too grown up and boring. I guess I should try getting into the whole sculpting and fondant thing but just haven't yet. Partly because I am afraid that if he picks one out of my plethora of cook books and mine doesn't end up looking exactly like the book picture, that he will be disappointed. Perhaps a little silly but I guess I feel a wee bit insecure about my artistic talent.


The picture at the top of this post (oh why oh why can't I figure out how to poast another at the bottom of the post?????) was the last cake I did make for a friend's birthday though: a white chocolate, lemon and blueberry (with real blueberries) chiffon with lemon curd filling and a white chocolate-lemon-cream cheese frosting. I made some candied lemon peel for the top.
Very very yummy, but incredibly boring according to my 3 year old ;-)


No comments: