Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Evolution of Toddler Tornadoes


Why do toddlers and preschooler have so much energy?


I mean if I was designing things I would give super energy to mothers in their 20s and 30s who have to deal with a husband, multiple kids, a job, a house to take care of, etc...


I look at my 3.5 year old running circles around our kitchen island in the morning. As he slows down I encourage him to run some more (I know it's mean but hey that's the only way I get to have my tea). I keep wishing I could just harness some of that energy for me. Somehow balance things out so that he has less and I have more... and then my mind wandered....


... and I thought: maybe there is an evolutionary advantage to having hyperactive toddlers. Maybe the only toddlers that would survive would be those that were active enough to keep up with the moving tribe on their little legs. I know Espen sometimes wishes that Kitten would stop jumping everywhere and I can easily imagine 100,000 years ago Cave Espen trying to leave Cave Kitten behind. Even as Kitten's mother I have to admit that sometimes I have moments where I also wish I could leave him behind (fleeting moments but still).
But of course this Cave Kitten could definitely outrun and outlast all of our Cave family: he definitely is my Energizer Baby :-)

No comments: